• As of March 31, 2012, we have more than 3,420 OEF/OIF Veterans enrolled at the CGVAMC
• Staff members are case managing 10 severely injured and 39 non-severely injured OEF/OIF Veterans.
Home-based Primary Care is expanding to the rutherford County Community Based Outpatient Clinic.
• Homeless Veterans Program
The Homeless Program was recognizeed as a medical center strength by the Office of Mental Health Operatins during an August, 2012 visit.
Active programs include:
• A Health Care for Homeless Veterans Outreach program conducts outreach in the rural counties surrounding the medical center.
CGVAMC received 35 additional HUD-VASH vouchers for FY 2012, bringing the total number of vouchers allocated to 180.
Weekly “Vet Rec” groups are a partnership with the city of Asheville Parks and Recreation department. HUD-VASH Veterans take part in activities such as volunteering with Brother Wolf animal shelter, craft and recreational activities, and a monthly community breakfast.
• Substance Abuse:
- HCHV Substance Abuse Disorder, SUD, specialist started weekly groups for Veterans in the homeless program dealing with addiction issues (total of four groups)
• Homeless Call Center:
Social Work staff provides daily coverage of Call Center, responding to calls within 24 hours to our catchment area.
• Residential Treatment:
A total 188 transitional housing beds are available for use by eligible Veterans, with ten additional beds at Blue Ridge in Ridgecrest, N.C. for exclusive use of Women Veterans and Women Veterans with Children.
• A minimum of five community outreach activities are conducted each month to promote suicide prevention and the Veterans Crisis Line. There were 413 mailings of information during this time period also.
Rural Health Initiative
Rural Health Initiative (RHI) team members use three major program strategies to improve the health of Veterans living in Western North Carolina: enrollment in VA, new patient exams and health education. The RHI team also attends local events, festivals and military events to provide information and enrollment opportunities. Many of the events included vaccination clinics for influenza and pneumonia.
• Rural Health personnel encountered more than 3,900 contacts with Veterans since October, 2011, enrolling 447 Veterans. The team also administered more than 2026 flu vaccines and 144 pneumovax vaccines
Veterans in this area.
Compensation and Pension (C&P) Program
C&P Program’s current staffing levels are: two physicians, four physician assistants, two psychologists, and four clerks. The average wait time for a C & P exam was 13 days. The completion rate is 9.6 days.
More than 400 fellows, residents, interns and students are trained at the CGVAMC each year. CGVAMC has active affiliations with the following:
• Duke University School of Medicine for residency programs in surgery, physician assistants, anesthesia, and nurse anesthetists.
• Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine – clinical training in general surgery, mental health, internal medicine, and geriatrics
• Wake Forest University Medical School, South College, Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, Mayland and Haywood Community Colleges for the training of physician assistants.
• Mountain Area Health Education Consortium family practice residents take part in elective rotations in Orthopedics, Urology and Dermatology.
• University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, Campbell University, Wingate University and an American Society of Health System Pharmacist (ASHP) accredited Pharm. D. residency and Dental externship
Other associated programs include dental assistants, dental hygiene, healthcare administration residents, medical records, medical technology, occupational therapy, pastoral care, psychology, radiology, and social work.
The VAMC also has academic affiliations with these institutions:
• Caldwell Community College
• UNC Charlotte
• East Carolina University
• Eastern Tennessee State University
• University of Indianapolis
• Kentucky University
• Mars Hill Community College
• Salus University
• NOVA Southeastern University
• Southwestern Community College
• Western Carolina University
Southwestern Community College
top of page