VISN 6 News Releases
2014Voices of VISN 6 Archive 2014
- Veterans Integrated Service Network 6 (Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network) Monthly Newsletter (12/31/2014)
Return to Top
2013Voices of VISN 6 Archive 2013
- Veterans Integrated Service Network 6 (Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network) Monthly Newsletter
Mercer County Mobile Clinic Announcement
- Eligible veterans living in the southern portion of West Virginia will soon benefit from a mobile health clinic, according to Beckley VAMC Director Karin McGraw. (07/12/2013)
Contract Awarded for new VA Health Care Center in Kernersville, N.C.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs has selected Lend Lease (US) Healthcare Development, LLC of Palm Beach, Fla., to build a health care center (HCC) in Kernersville, N.C. (05/10/2013)
Brandecker to Lead Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center
- “We’re thrilled to bring Mr. Brandecker on board as the new director for our flag ship medical center in Richmond,” said Daniel F. Hoffmann, Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN 6) director. (05/03/2013)
New VA Health Care Center to open in Wilmington
- The Department of Veterans Affairs is pleased to announce that a ribbon cutting ceremony for the newly constructed Wilmington Health Care Center will be held on Tuesday, April 30, beginning at 11:00 a.m. (04/26/2013)
Construction of E85 Fuel Station proposed
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announces the preparation and availability of a “Draft Environmental Assessment” (DEA) for the proposed construction of a 5,000 gallon E-85 above ground fuel station and installation of the necessary supporting utility systems. (04/22/2013)
Lease awarded for Jacksonville VA Facility
- The Department of Veterans Affairs has awarded Construction Managers, Inc., the contract for the new VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic in Jacksonville, N.C. (02/28/2013)
New Associate Director Named for Durham VAMC
- The Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) is pleased to announce the appointment of Sara Haigh as Associate Director effective January 13, 2013. In this key position, Ms. Haigh will be responsible for the organization, direction, and coordination of administrative functions of the Medical Center. (01/07/2013)
Return to Top
2012Voices of VISN 6 Archive 2012
- Veterans Integrated Service Network 6 (Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network) Monthly Newsletter (12/31/2012)
Secretary Shinseki Thanksgiving Day Message
- Secretary Shinseki Offers a Greeting to All Veterans and VA Stakehholders, encouraging thanks for what we have.
President's Veterans Day Message
- President Obama Issues a Veterans Day Message (11/07/2012)
Durham VAMC and Duke University study shows effect of PTSD on brain function
- Recent combat veterans who are diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder have significantly smaller volume in a certain area of the brain critical for regulating fear and anxiety responses, according to research led by scientists at Duke University and the Durham VA Medical Center. (11/05/2012)
SALEM VA AND VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF VETERAN SERVICES EVENT IN BEDFORD
- The Salem VA Medical Center will hold an outreach event at the Wytheville Farmers Market located at 355 E. Main St., Wytheville, VA 24382 on Saturday, October 27th (10/27/2012)
VA Announces Contract for Fayetteville NC Health Care Center Slated for Completion in 2015
- The new clinic will be located at the intersection of Old Raeford Road and Reilly Road, approximately 10 miles from the Fayetteville VA Medical Center’s main campus. (10/02/2012)
Veterans Affairs Mental Health Research Continues on Multiple Fronts
- At the Salem VA Medical Center, Part of Nationwide Research Effort to discover new treatments, identify the best existing therapies, and speed new research findings into mental health practice.
VA Approves $28 Million in Grants for Homeless Veterans
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has approved $28.4 million in grants to fund 38 projects in 25 states and the District of Columbia that will provide transitional housing to homeless Veterans. Among these 38 projects (09/19/2012)
VISN 6 Announces New Director in Salisbury VA
- Kaye Green selected to Lead Salisbury VA Medical Center
VA and Local Organizations Join Together to Assist Veterans
- Durham’s Bull City Stand Down will Help Area Veterans access help with housing, haircuts, showers, employment and legal counseling, mental health assessments, mammograms, flu shots and substance abuse services
Asheville VAMC Announces Homeless and Housing Events
- Homeless Veterans, and people facing the threat of homelessness, will have the chance to find help on Sept. 6 when the annual Project Connect and VA Stand Down events will be held.
Asheville VA Medical Center Employees Donate 3,000 lbs. of Food
- Employees and volunteers at the VA Medical Center (VAMC) collected more than 3,000 pounds of non-perishable food and personal hygiene items (08/31/2012)
Fayetteville VA Medical Center (VAMC) Hosts OEF/OIF Recognition Program
- The Fayetteville VAMC will host a Deployed Recognition Program for Veteran employees who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation New Dawn (OND) at the medical center July 31.
Fayetteville VAMC Announces New Community-Based Clinic in Lee County, NC
- Veterans Get Increased Access to World-Class Health Care -
VA elected to approve construction of a new CBOC in Lee County for our Veterans,” said James Galkowski, Fayetteville VAMC associate director of operations. (07/19/2012)
VA Announces Grant in Raleigh to Help End Veteran Homelessness
- Initiative Targets 42,000 Homeless and At-Risk Veterans and Families Nationwide
Durham VA Medical Center and BB&T Help Homeless Veterans
- The more than $4,000 donation is provided under BB&T's Lighthouse Project, a company-wide community service effort.
McGuire VA Medical Center recognized as 2012 Senate Productivity and Quality Award recipient for Vir
- The Richmond VA Medical Center will be recognized with the 2012 Certificate of Commitment to Performance Excellence (06/04/2012)
Richmond VAMC sponsored VETERANS WHEELCHAIR GAMES KICKOFF IS MONDAY
- More than 600 wheelchair athletes have answered the call and registered intent to participate in Richmond’s second National Veterans Wheelchair Games. (06/02/2012)
RICHMOND AREA ATHLETES VIE IN MCGUIRE VETERANS WHEELCHAIR SPORTS FEST
- Area Wheelchair Athletes will participate in the Richmond VAMC Sports Fest from 12-3:00 June 1, competing in several of the events featured each year at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games. The Games will be held in Richmond June 25-30. (05/25/2012)
Fayetteville VAMC Honors Veterans During Annual Memorial Day Program
- The Fayetteville VA Medical Center will honor Veterans with a Memorial Day program on Friday, May 25, at 11:00 a.m. in the auditorium located on the third floor of the medical center.
VA Mid-Atlantic Healthcare Network Announces New Director
- DeAnne Seekins Brings Leadership, Experience to Durham
Fayetteville VA Medical Center Welcomes New Chief of Staff, Dr. Annapurni Teague
- Dr. Teague recently transferred within the VA as interim Chief of Staff for the medical center and has twenty years of VHA experience. (04/05/2012)
Fayetteville VAMC Gets Nod from Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- Fayetteville VA Medical Center’s Healthcare for Homeless Veterans Program has earned a three-year accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. (03/23/2012)
Salem VA Offering Free Training for Rural Clergy
- Salem VA Medical Center is offering a one-day workshop to educate rural clergy about partnering with the VA (03/08/2012)
Groundbreaking set for new VA clinic in Greenville
- VA and community officials will break ground for the expanded Greenville VA Clinic, located at 401 Moye Boulevard, in a ceremony Jan. 12 at 9:30 a.m. (01/06/2012)
PTSD linked to smaller brain area regulating fear response
- Recent combat veterans who are diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder have significantly smaller volume in a certain area of the brain critical for regulating fear and anxiety responses, according to research led by scientists at Duke University and the Durham VA Medical Center.
Return to Top
2011Voices of VISN 6 Archive 2011
- Veterans Integrated Service Network 6 (Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network) Monthly Newsletter
VA-HUD: Homelessness Among Veterans Declines 12% in 2011
- Obama Administration on Track to End Veteran Homelessness by 2015, Announces $100 Million to Expand Homeless Prevention Program
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Set for Durham VA Parking Garage
- A ribbon cutting ceremony will be held at the Durham VA Medical Center to open a 436 space parking garage December 19 at 1 p.m.
RICHMOND SELECTED TO HOST 32ND NATIONAL VETERANS WHEELCHAIR GAMES
- McGuire VA Medical Center and the Virginia Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America will announce that the 32nd National Veterans Wheelchair Games (10/18/2011)
Salem VA Medical Center Opens Community Based Outpatient Clinic in Staunton, Va.
- the VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN 6) and Salem VA Medical Center (VAMC) are pleased to announce the opening of a Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Staunton, Virginia. The official ribbon-cutting will be held on Friday, October 21, 2011 at 10:00 a.m.
Proposed Rutherford Bypass
- A North Carolina DOT proposal for US Highway 221 has concerned Veterans in and around Rutherfordton about the possibility of losing the local CBOC (08/19/2011)
Site selected for new VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic in Goldsboro
- The new clinic, slated to provide primary care and mental health services to about 5,000 Veterans, will be located at 2610 Hospital Road in Goldsboro. (08/15/2011)
Voices of VISN 6 newsletter
- VISN releases first edition of Voices of VISN 6 (08/10/2011)
Endeavour Launch with Research Payload is Milestone in VA-NASA Partnership
- launch of the Endeavour, with its research payload for two new vaccines aboard, marked yet another milestone in VA’s longstanding collaboration with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, working toward vaccines for two common infections. (05/16/2011)
Charles George VAMC Rolls Out Secure Messaging
- The Charles George VA Medical Center in Asheville has implemented a new technology within VA’s My HealtheVet Web site that allows Veterans to communicate directly with healthcare teams on line (04/22/2011)
Return to Top
2010Voices Of VISN 6 Archive
- Veterans Integrated Service Network 6 (Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network) Monthly Newsletter (12/31/2010)
New Director for Salisbury VA Medical Center
- Mr. Paul M. Russo replaces Ms. Carolyn Adams who left in February to become the director of the Charleston S.C. VA Medical Center.
Fayetteville N.C. VAMC New Mental Health Service chief named
- As chief of Mental Health Service Line, Dr. Myneni will oversee the center's mental health service operations, which provide a wide variety of programs and services both in Out Patient and In Patient settings. (09/17/2010)
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense and several local area hospitals launched a pilot program earlier this month allowing them to exchange medical data in the Hampton Roads area using the Nationwide Health Information Network. (08/31/2010)
Durham VA Researcher to Study Gulf War Illness
DURHAM, NC -- A Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center Researcher has received a significant grant to study therapies for treating Gulf War veterans.
Women Veterans Program to appear on Television
- On Wednesday, 23 June 2010, the VA Mid Atlantic Network's Women Veterans Program will appear on the Veterans Corner Television show (WHIG-TV) hosted by Mr. Lynn Hughes, a Vietnam veteran. (06/21/2010)
SALEM VAMC DIRECTOR SELECTED FOR NEW POSITION
- Mr. John Patrick, Salem VA Medical Center Director, has been selected to direct the Portland, Oregon VA Medical Center (06/10/2010)
New Director at Asheville VAMC
- Cynthia Breyfogle has been appointed as the new director of the Charles George Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) in Asheville. (04/27/2010)
VA Targets $24 Million for Kinston, Swannanoa Veterans Homes
- Department Funds Two New North Carolina Veterans Facilities
Salem VA Medical Center Gets Infusion of Recovery Act Funds
- The Recovery Act package, enacted by Congress in February 2009, funds projects to upgrade the facility infrastructure and reduce the medical center’s carbon footprint in the Roanoke Valley (04/05/2010)
Durham VA: Older Veterans Inspire Through Exercise
- Durham, Va. -- Dozens of older Veterans reliably meet three times a week to participate in the Durham VA Medical Center's Gerofit program. Veterans take part with great enthusiasm and camaraderie. Their customized work-out plans help to slow functional decline. (03/18/2010)
Richmond Students Bring Smiles to Veterans with Paint
- Salem, Va. -- VA employees are reaching out to help Haiti earthquake victims in many ways, such as going to the country to provide medical care, and the AFGE-sponsored drive to collect and send bottled water. (03/09/2010)
McGuire VAMC Hematology and Oncology Clinic has something to Ring About
- Richmond, Va. - Many McGuire VAMC Veterans have incredible stories of courage and bravery. As service members they've had to tap in to their inner strengths and to be prepared to face the unknown. The days of military service may be completed; however, when faced with cancer, the Veteran is once again facing the unknown. (03/09/2010)
VA and DOD EXPAND ELECTRONIC HEALTH INFORMATION PILOT TO EASTERN VIRGINIA
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) today announced the next phase of the Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER) Health Communities Program. (03/08/2010)
Engineer of the Year Hails from Salisbury
- The 2010 Department of Veterans Affairs' top engineer is from the Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network.
Assistant Chief of Facility Management Services Joseph Laurer, working as an expert level engineer and program manager at the W.G. (Bill) Hefner Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Salisbury, N.C. will be recognized as number one in the Chief Engineer category during the VA National Society of Professional Engineers' annual convention in Nashville, Tenn. this May. (02/25/2010)
Area Medical Centers lead nation in energy-efficient care
- Four of the top 15 Veterans Affairs Medical Centers across the nation cited by the Green Building Initiative for achievements in sustainable energy are from VA's Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network. Of VA's 147 medical centers, these four are among the top in energy conservation and environmental management initiatives. (02/25/2010)
Return to Top
2009Telephone Scam - Veterans Beware!
- Apparent Telephone Scam. VISN 6 has learned of an apparent telephone scam targeting Veterans in which callers try to obtain Veteran's credit card numbers. (09/14/2009)
Swine Flu updates from VISN 6
- We wanted you to know that numerous steps that have been taken by our Network and VA facilities across the country regarding the Swine flu outbreak.
As of this date, the VA and our Network are monitoring the situation very closely and are prepared to respond as needed. VA is already working closely with the CDC, HHS, Homeland Security and the White House.
Return to Top
2008VA Selects Site for Expanded Outpatient Clinic in Hickory, N.C.
- DURHAM - Enhancing access to health care by locating outpatient clinics in close proximity to where the majority of veterans reside is a key goal for the Department of Veterans Affairs. In keeping with that priority, the VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN 6) and the Salisbury VA Medical Center (VAMC) are pleased to confirm the selection of a site at Century Place, South East, to expand outpatient services to veterans in the Hickory area. The lease award was made by VA's office of Construction and Facilities Management, Washington, D.C. (12/29/2008)
Message from Salisbury VAMC Director: Improving Access to Care
- The Secretary of Veterans Affairs, The Honorable James B. Peake, MD, has made a decision regarding the proposed changes for the Salisbury VA Medical Center. This decision was made after careful deliberation and review of information from veterans and their family members, employees, veterans' organizations, congressional members, local government officials and concerned citizens. (12/11/2008)
Two VISN 6 Medical Centers gain national recognition for patient safety
- The VA National Center for Patient Safety (NCPS) located in Ann Arbor, Michigan has announced award winners for its 2008 Cornerstone Recognition program for completion of Individual Root Cause Analyses (RCA) and Aggregate Reviews. (11/10/2008)
Nation Salutes Those Who Serve on Veterans Day
- WASHINGTON (Nov. 5, 2008) - During Veterans Day, Nov. 11, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake calls on Americans to recognize the nation's 23.4 million living veterans and the generations before them who fought to protect freedom and democracy.
Grand Re-Opening for Greenville Vet Center
- An Open House and Ribbon Cutting will be held at the Greenville Vet Center located at 1021 W.H. Smith Blvd., Suite 100 on Monday, November 10, 2008, at 11:00 a.m., to celebrate the opening of a new 3,500 sq ft. facility. (10/31/2008)
VA TO ENHANCE OUTPATIENT CLINICAL SERVICES AT CHARLOTTE, HICKORY, WINSTON-SALEM & TRANSFORM SBY...
- Veterans served by health care facilities in Charlotte, Hickory, Salisbury, and Winston-Salem will soon benefit from increased outpatient services. The VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN 6) is implementing these transformations to bring needed health care services closer to where the majority of veterans reside. (09/19/2008)
VA health care sites in N.C. and Va. return to normal operations
- Durham- After a period of heavy rain and high winds in the eastern part of North Carolina and Virginia over the weekend, all VA Mid-Atlantic health Care Network (VISN 6) sites of care returned to fully operational status, Monday. VA leaders reported no significant damage to facilities and no adverse effects on personnel in the areas impacted by Hurricane Hanna. (09/08/2008)
Hurricane Update: Some Clinics Closed Saturday as VA Mid-Atlantic Network Prepares for Storms
- In a message to VISN 6 VA Medical Center (VAMC) leaders early today, Network Director Daniel F. Hoffmann, FACHE, issued guidance for Saturday (9-6-08) clinics to be cancelled at Wilmington, Morehead city, Jacksonville, Norfolk-Virginia Beach, and Hampton.
Some Saturday Clinics Closed as Network Prepares for Storms
- In a message to VISN 6 VA Medical Center (VAMC) leaders early today, Network Director Daniel F. Hoffmann, FACHE, issued guidance for Saturday (9-6-08) clinics to be cancelled at Wilmington, Morehead city, Jacksonville, Norfolk-Virginia Beach, and Hampton. (09/05/2008)
Hurricane Hanna Information
- VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network continues to carefully monitor the track for Hurricane Hanna and other storms with potential for landfall in our area of operations. (09/04/2008)
Department of Veterans Affairs to Open Community Based Outpatient Clinic in Hamlet, N.C.
- In keeping with that priority, the VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN 6) and Fayetteville VA Medical Center (VAMC) are pleased to announce that it will open a new Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Hamlet, N.C. The scheduled opening date is May 12. (04/30/2008)
Return to Top
2007VA "PRIVACY VOLUNTEERS" NEEDED IN EVERY STATE
- The VA Office of Privacy and Records Management (005G) is in need of volunteers from all fifty states and the Philippines to participate in the Release of Names and Addresses (RONA) program. (06/25/2007)
VA CHILD CARE SUBSIDY PROGRAM CAN MEET SUMMER NEEDS
- Do you use a child care provider only during the summer months? Are you a full-time or part-time VA employee? (06/25/2007)
Return to Top